Dogs might be man’s best friend, but chances are your carpets don’t share the same love for our four legged companions. Prone to scratching, digging and bringing in mud, there’s no denying that our furry companions can inadvertently cause a lot of damage to our carpets, which can bring down the overall look and feel of your home and may require expensive restoration.
Here at Chemdry Express WA, our industry leading carpet dry cleaning service can remove even the most stubborn stains using a special non-toxic formula that’s perfectly safe for pets and kids. However, as is so often the case, prevention is almost always better than cure. With this in mind, we’ve rounded up five of the best things you can do as a dog owner to keep your carpets in pristine condition for years to come.
1. It All Starts With the Training Perhaps the most effective way of extending the life of your carpet is to help your dog understand what is and isn’t acceptable behavior, which can only be achieved by building a positive relationship with your pet. As all dog owners can attest to, training a dog is much easier said than done, but essentially it boils down to:
* Building mutual respect
* Spending time together
* Sharing new experiences
* Improving communication
After developing this bond, it’s a matter of practising, testing and rewarding to ensure your dog understands the boundaries. This can be used to toilet train, reduce digging and scratching and establish no-go zones (such as an expensive couch), all of which can do wonders for preserving the quality of your carpet.
2. Regular Professional Carpet Cleaning Regular day-to-day maintenance can go a long way toward safeguarding your carpet from pet damage, but for the ultimate layer of protection you can’t go past professional carpet cleaning. These services are critical for preventing dirt and mud from setting in, removing urine stains and eliminating unpleasant pet odours.
At Chemdry Express WA, we have extensive experience in treating pet-damaged surfaces. Our state of the art dry cleaning techniques can quickly restore your carpet to its former, beautiful glory, while our unique Pet Urine Removal Treatment is specifically formulated to combat unsightly and odiferous urine spots.
3. Doggy Manicures Naturally playful creatures, even the most well trained dog will give in to temptation and dig, scratch and run around the home from time to time. This type of excited behaviour can wreak havoc on your carpet, but you can mitigate the damage to a certain extent by regularly trimming your dog’s nails. Doing so prevents the nails from catching on loose carpet threads and reduces your dog’s ability to claw at vulnerable carpet fibres.
As a general rule of thumb, dog nails need to be trimmed if you can hear them clicking against the floor when your dog walks on a hard surface. Clipping a dog’s nails can be challenging, so enlist the services of a vet or groomer if you’re not feeling confident.
4. Protect Your Carpet With a Rug You’re probably very familiar with the fact that dogs are creatures of habit and tend to always rest and/or sleep in the same spot every day. If the rest area happens to be on your carpet, it’s likely that damage is occurring. Why? Well, repeated rubbing and pressure can quickly result in wear and tear on carpet fibres. In addition, your dog’s body heat can cause condensation to build up (particularly in the winter months) which, over time, can create damp spots and even mould.
With this in mind, consider throwing down a rug or blanket in the areas where your dog likes to relax. Not only will this protect your carpet, it’s also much cosier for your pet and can help your dog feel safer and more relaxed.
5. Give Paws a Clean After Going Outside It might sound obvious but it’s still worth mentioning: clean your dog’s paws after going outside. No matter the season, your pet is liable to walk through all sorts of dirt, mud, water and other substances during its adventures in the great outdoors. Protect your carpet and leave the muck outside where it belongs by giving your dog’s paws a quick rub down with a damp cloth before coming into the home.
No matter what your dog’s done to your carpet, Chemdry Express WA can help fix it. Give us a call today to find out more about our professional Perth carpet cleaning services.